Over 500 Malawians repatriated as exercise enters 2nd phase

Written by  MBC Reporter

A Ministerial Committee tasked with the responsibility to oversee the repatriation of victims of xenophobic attacks from South Africa says so far progress has been made as government has repatriated over 500 Malawians as the exercise enters its second phase.

Minister of Information Kondwani Nankhumwa Minister of Information Kondwani Nankhumwa
29
April

Briefing the media in Lilongwe on Tuesday, Government Spokesperson explained that 22 buses were scheduled to leave Durban on Tuesday and another 20 buses will leave on Thursday from the port city.

 

Kondwani Nankhumwa said the Tuesday buses are to arrive after two days while the ones leaving Durban on Thursday are expected in the country over the weekend.

Commenting on number of deaths, Nankhumwa puts the figure at eight as three deaths were confirmed in South Africa, three other deaths in Mozambique following a car accident the returnees were involved in and two more deaths were reported in Zimbabwe.

 

When asked why government opted for foreign bus operators at the expense of Malawian buses to transport the returnees, the government spokesperson argued that indigenous Malawians were charging exorbitant rates which were not sustainable looking at its resource envelope.

 

“Malawian transporters were too exorbitant and were charging K8mMillion while the South Africans were charging K3.3million, that’s why government opted for the foreign operators.” Nankhumwa said.

 

The Minister of Information Kondwani Nankhumwa put the figure of Malawians affected by the attacks at 3, 526. 

Login Form

About us

Malawi Broadcasting Corporation is a public broadcaster mandated and formed by Government under an Act of Parliament in 1964, to enhance the successful implementation of all its social and economic programs...

Social Media

Catch us on these social networks for more information

Facebook Twitter RSS

Get Your Newsletter