Error
  • JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 4
You are here:CategoriesLocal NewsThree people electrocuted to death in BT

Three people electrocuted to death in BT

Written by 

Three unidentified casual workers died of electrocution at Chichiri in Blantyre Sunday afternoon.

Where the incident occurred Where the incident occurred
10
June

 

According to Augustus Nkhwazi spokesperson for Blantyre Police Station, the three deceased persons were hired to fix a bill board at Chichiri Shoprite in the city when they met their fate.

 

Nkhwazi said William Mauya aged 48 of Nakhoro village traditional authority Kaduya in Phalombe of William General Maintenance on June 10, 2018 assigned four people to fix the said bill board at Chichiri Shopping Mall in Blantyre.

 

“In the course of working on the assignment, a scaffold which was being used to support the four to do their work fell onto Electricity Supply Corporation of Malawi (ESCOM) live wires. A fierce fire engulfed the four, and were rushed to Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital by well wishers where among them three died upon arrival,” said Nkhwazi.

 

One victim, namely Victor Namweto aged 31 of Nakhoro village Traditional Authority Kaduya in Phalombe, survived with serious fire burns and is receiving treatment at the Central Hospital (QUECH).

 

The bodies of the three deceased persons are being kept at QECH mortuary pending identification and postmortem examinations.

 

Meanwhile, police are currently working to establish the cause of this tragic incident.

About us

Malawi Broadcasting Corporation is a public broadcaster mandated and formed by Government under an Act of Parliament in 1964, to enhance the successful implementation of all its social and economic programs...

Social Media

Catch us on these social networks for more information

Facebook Twitter RSS

Get Your Newsletter