You are here:CategoriesLocal NewsMEC stops registering new voters, to only process transfers or replace lost voter certificates

MEC stops registering new voters, to only process transfers or replace lost voter certificates

Written by  MBC Online

MEC on Saturday announced that following the ruling of the Supreme Court of Appeal on 8 May, the Commission will no longer register new voters but only handle those that wish to process transfers or replace lost voter certificates. 

Only those who voted in the May 21, 2019 poll will be allowed to vote in the July 2 fresh presidential election. Only those who voted in the May 21, 2019 poll will be allowed to vote in the July 2 fresh presidential election.
09
May

The Supreme Court of Appeal on Friday ruled that MEC should use the 2019 voters roll and not allow new registrants to vote in the July 2 fresh pr3esidential election.

 

MEC CEO Sam Alfandika said in a stamen this process will continue up to 4.00pm on 10 May, 2020 in these councils: • Rumphi • Likoma • Dowa • Lilongwe District • Lilongwe City • Lunchenza Municipality • Phalombe • Mulanje and • Thyolo.

 

“The Commission will advise how it will proceed with transfers and replacement of lost voter certificates in the remaining districts,” Alfandika said.

 

He said the Commission was also informing all stakeholders that all the new voter registrations that took place in phase one and the current phase have been invalidated and will not be incorporated in the 2019 Tripartite Elections voters register as per Supreme Court of Appeal judgement.

 

“All persons who registered in the May 2019 Tripartite Elections who have changed places of residence are advised to go and process transfers at the centre where they wish to cast their vote. Those who have lost their certificates are encouraged to go to the centre where they registered to get a duplicate certificate that will enable them to vote.”

 

The 2019 voter’s roll has 6,367,188 Malawians, but only about 5 million actually cast their votes last year.

 

Last year's presidential poll, won by President Prfessor Arthur Peter Mutharika, was nullified by the constitutional court citing widespread irregularities.

 

The judgement of the court was upheld on Friday by the Supreme Court of Appeal who ordered the July 2 poll must go ahead and that new voters will not cast their ballots because theyv were not wronged as they did not participate in the last vote.

 

About us

Malawi Broadcasting Corporation is a public broadcaster mandated and formed by Government under an Act of Parliament in 1964, to enhance the successful implementation of all its social and economic programs...

Social Media

Catch us on these social networks for more information

Facebook Twitter RSS

Get Your Newsletter