An excellent and rare opportunity has arisen to engage qualified persons of Malawian origin to fill Executive Management positions of DIRECTOR OF ENGINEERING and DIRECTOR OF FINANCE.
Details of the job and personal specifications are articulated below.
MALAWI BROADCASTING CORPORATION
EXECUTIVE MANAGEMENT PLACEMENT : DIRECTOR OF ENGINEERING AND DIRECTOR OF FINANCE
A. INTRODUCTION AND BACKGROUND
The Malawi Broadcasting Corporation (MBC) is a public service broadcaster (PSB) and is the oldest Broadcasting Station in Malawi. The Corporation launched its services in Malawi, the then Nyasaland, on 16th January, 1964 and started its services with one radio station which is now called Radio 1 as the oldest in a group which now comprises of a second radio station and a Television Broadcasting Station.
In July, 1997, the Government instituted a commercial-oriented station under MBC called Radio 2FM and in February of 2000, MBC established the Development Broadcasting Unit (DBU) as an arm of MBC to provide a platform for community-generated participative content. On 1st July of 2010 Government also directed that Malawi Television Limited be part of MBC as the license for MBC enabled it to operate a television service in addition to Radio services. Following the said directive, MBC and Television Malawi Limited (TVM) were merged into one entity in order to provide public radio and television services efficiently and effectively.
Currently under the Communications Act, 2016, MBC is a public broadcasting services licensee mandated by an Act of Parliament to inform, educate and entertain the public; encourage free and informed opinion on all matters of public interest; reflect the wide diversity of Malawi's cultural life; and to respect for human rights, the rule of law, and the Constitution through objective, professional and independent programming befitting a PSB. Therefore, the duties and functions of the Malawi Broadcasting Corporation is to provide public broadcasting services throughout Malawi and perform such undertakings and provide such other services as are conducive to the exercise of the functions and fulfillment of the service obligations specified in the 2016 Communications Act, or as are ordinarily within the functions of a public broadcasting service.
In order to fulfill its revised mandate effectively and efficiently with strategic leadership and management, an excellent and rare opportunity has arisen to engage a qualified person of Malawian origin to fill an Executive Management positions of 1. DIRECTOR OF ENGINEERING and 2. DIRECTOR OF FINANCE tenable at its Head Office in Blantyre.
The Board of Directors of MBC, therefore, invites applications from suitable candidates to fill these strategic positions on a three (3) year employment contract.
These are highly demanding positions that require persons who have demonstrable capacity to initiate financial, operational, human resource management and administrative innovations geared at making MBC a rejuvenated, vibrant and competitive Corporation.
1. DIRECTOR OF ENGINEERING
a. Purpose of the Position
Forming part of the Executive Management and reporting to the Director General, the Director of Engineering (DoE) leads and manages the transmission and studio infrastructure, projects and preventive maintenance of the Corporation. The DoE also supervises the engineering department staff and works in cooperation with station leadership for timely project delivery.
b. Key Responsibility and Duties
The following are the key duties and responsibilities of the Director of Engineering:
1. Managing, supporting and providing leadership to the Studio, Signal Distribution and Projects functions;
2. Developing and implementing policies, standards and procedures for the engineering and technical work performed in the department;
3. Setting scientific and technical goals within broad outlines provided by management;
4. Providing country wide technical and maintenance services for the Radio and TV broadcast studios, distribution and transmission;
5. Developing and managing the Corporation’s broadcast infrastructural projects and liaising with external stakeholders;
6. Decide and oversee the department’s training programme;
7. Carry out other tasks as required by the dynamic field of engineering;
8. Preparing budgets; and
9. Advising the Director General on engineering matters.
c. Required Academic and Professional Qualifications and Experience
1. A Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, Telecommunications Engineering, Information Technology or Computer Sciences;
2. Master’s degree in Telecommunication Engineering/ Broadcasting Engineering, Information Technology, Computer Sciences or Business Administration/ Project Management; and
3. Minimum of ten (10) years work experience of which three (3) must be at a proven managerial level of seniority and responsibility in the telecoms industry.
d. Requisite Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
1. Excellent knowledge in transmission and broadcasting engineering;
2. Ability to lead a multi-disciplinary team of professionals;
3. Strong analytical skills;
4. Strong organizational skills, versatility, ability to multi-task and meet deadlines; and
5. Mature and good communicator with adequate negotiating skills.
2. DIRECTOR OF FINANCE
a. Purpose of the Position:
Forming part of the Executive Management and reporting to the Director General, the Director of Finance shall be responsible for the prudent management of the finances and investments issues of the Corporation.
b. Key Responsibilities and Duties
1. To manage the Corporation’s financial systems and budgets
2. To undertake financial audits (an independent check of an organization’s financial position)
3. To be responsible for documentations and accuracy of yearly financial audits.
4. To provide financial advice to Management & the Board
5. To review the company's accounting systems and analyzing risks and reporting to the Board of Directors.
6. To manage the Finance Division
7. To liaise with external auditors and dealing with any financial irregularities as they arise
8. To prepare financial management reports, including financial planning and forecasting;
9. To negotiate payment terms with big suppliers and managing debtors terms
10. To review, update, and implement existing internal accounting systems and introducing new systems and controls where appropriate with Board of Directors approval.
c. Qualifications and Experience
4. Bachelor’s degree in Accountancy, Finance, or a fellow professional Accountancy qualification of ACCA or CIMA.
5. Master’s degree in Business Administration or any finance related field.
6. Proven financial and investments experience.
7. Minimum of 10 years proven managerial experience at increasing level of seniority and responsibility preferably in Public Finance.
d. Requisite Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
6. Accounting Skills, General Management and Negotiation skills;
7. Ability to lead a multi-disciplinary team of professionals;
8. Strong analytical skills;
9. Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines in terms of financial reporting;
10. Strong organisational skills, versatility, ability to multi-task and meet deadlines;
11. Excellent communication skills (oral and written);
12. Ability to work as a team member with leadership skills for coaching and developing employees; Membership of a professional body like ICS is a must for this position.
13. Mature and good communicator with adequate negotiating skills; and
14. Computer literacy especially in Application packages such as ACCPAC, SAGE etc.
B. TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
MBC shall offer an attractive employee benefits package to successful candidates in accordance with its emolument structure.
C. METHOD OF APPLICATION
Candidates should submit their applications with an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae (CV); Names and Contacts of Three Traceable Referees; Copies of certificates by 15th May, 2021 to:
The Comptroller of Statutory Corporations,
P.O. Box 30061,
Candidates who responded to the earlier advertisement are strongly encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates shall be acknowledged.
Malawi Broadcasting Corporation is a public broadcaster mandated and formed by Government under an Act of Parliament in 1964, to enhance the successful implementation of all its social and economic programs...
Catch us on these social networks for more information